Boston family says their 14-year-old son died after attempting the “One Chip Challenge” involving reaper and scorpion peppers
· Sep 10, 2023 ·

A nightmare scenario for any family here:

A 14-year-old student from Worcester, Massachusetts, died on Friday, officials say, and his family says his death was caused by complications from eating an extremely spicy chip that's the subject of a viral challenge.

Harris Wolobah's mother confirmed to NBC10 Boston that the family believes the teenager died of complications from the One Chip Challenge, though the results of an autopsy were pending.

Here's the young man in question:

The "One Chip Challenge" was launched by the chip manufacturer Paqui. It comes wrapped in its own individual coffin-shaped container replete with warnings about just how spicy it really is.

Needless to say, the thing is spicy.

It's made with both reaper and scorpion peppers, two of the hottest peppers in the entire world. It will light your mouth up.

Whether or not young Mr. Wolobah passed away from the chip is uncertain, though his tragic death lined up with his having consumed it. He first developed a stomach ache at school after eating it; then, it got serious:

He felt better after they went home, but at 4:30 p.m., when he was about to leave for basketball tryouts, his brother yelled that he'd passed out, she said. Harris was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police are investigating the young man's death.

P.S. Now check out our latest video 👇

Keep up with our latest videos — Subscribe to our YouTube channel!


There are 118 comments on this article.

Ready to join the conversation? Start your free trial today.

Access comments and our fully-featured social platform, completely free of charge.

Sign up Now
App screenshot

You must signup or login to view or post comments on this article.