If truckers just cold-stopped hauling freight, what would happen in the immediate aftermath? Here's a pretty infographic from Freight Waves to educate you (click to zoom):
Within the first 24 hours:
- Hospitals would run out of basic supplies
- Gas stations would begin to run out of fuel
- Mail and package delivery would cease
Within the first week:
- ATMs would run out of cash
- Food shortages would become rampant
- Automobile travel would cease
Within the first month:
- Life-saving supplies for hospitals would run out
- The nation's clean water supply would run out
- Electric power plants would begin to go offline, causing widespread blackouts
So yeah, the answer is, a lot would happen, and all of it would be very bad. The country as you know it would come to a standstill. It would be zombie apocalypse up in this piece.
You know what they say, "If you got it, a truck brought it."
Next time you stop at a Love's or a Flying J and see one of America's 3.6 million truck drivers brushing his teeth in the bathroom sink, instead of being weirded out, maybe smile and thank him for his service.