Congratulations, Covid tyrants: You have accomplished what the Vikings, Anglo-Saxons, Normans, French, Nazis, and the Bubonic Plague couldn't accomplish.
You officially shuttered England's oldest pub – an establishment that has existed since before England was even a thing.
The establishment that claims to be Britain's "oldest pub" is closing its doors, the landlord announced Friday, citing hardships made worse by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Christo Tofalli, the landlord of Ye Olde Fighting Cocks, a 1,200-year-old pub, said in a Facebook post announcing the closure that financial struggles prior to the health crisis have now become untenable due to the loss of business.
The pub's first brick was reportedly laid in 793 A.D., so I'm serious when I say it predates England. Alfred the Great was the first king of the 7 Anglo-Saxon kingdoms that spanned England to unite the territories under his control and form the concept of "Anglo-land" around 886.
The pub itself was reportedly founded near an old Roman well.
The pub, which, according to its website, was established in 793, is located in St. Albans, England, north of London. Many changes to the pub have been made over the centuries. The pub's main structure is believed to have been built in the 11th century. The current name comes from the chicken fights the pub hosted in the 19th and early 20th centuries, according to CNN.
The 11th century is when William the Conqueror invaded England from Normandy and helped screw up the weird language we all know and love by mainstreaming French words in the cultural lexicon!
Mind you, we're still 500 years before Shakespeare here.
The Daily Wire compiled a helpful list of all the things the pub survived until it was killed by the dumb-dumbs who thought they could stop a not-so-lethal virus by shutting down the world.
- Famines (1235, 1315-1317, 1623-1624, 1740-1741, 1816, 1845-1849)
- Bubonic Plague (1347-1350, 1563, 1592-93, 1603, 1625, 1665-1666)
- Influenza pandemics and epidemics (1557, 1729, 1775-1776, 1836-1837, 1847-1848, 1889-1890, 1918, 1957-1958, 1968-1970, 2009-2010)
- Cholera (1831-1833, 1848-1854, 1865-1873)
- Smallpox (1837-1840, 1870-1875)
- HIV/AIDS (1979-present)
- Countless winter storms and heat waves
- Over 1,000 years of conflict
- Multiple economic recessions and depressions, including the Great Slump of 1430-1490, the Long Depression of 1873-1896, the Great Depression of 1930-1931, and the Great Recession of 2008-2009
Good job, current weenies running the UK!
Fortunately, the pub's history might save it.
The pub was under lease from Mitchells & Butlers, one of the largest restaurant operators in the country, and it is looking for new management. A GoFundMe has also been set up for the pub, but I assume GoFundMe will probably cancel that and give the money to Antifa!
P.S. Now check out our latest video 👇