There are, thankfully, not many Nazis left in the world. And sometimes we get lucky and see the few that are remaining hauled into court:
A 97-year-old former Nazi death camp secretary accused of being complicit in the murder of over 10,000 people commented for the first time on the accusations against her as her trial came to a close Tuesday, saying she is 'sorry for everything'.
Irmgard Furchner is the first woman to be tried in Germany for Nazi-era crimes in decades, in what prosecutors have said could be one of the country's last trials over crimes committed during the Holocaust.
'I'm sorry about everything that happened,' Furchner said at the court in the northern town of Itzehoe, her lawyer said, breaking her 14-month long silence.
Furchner was a secretary at Germany's Polish war crime camp of Stutthoff during the war; the question is whether she was aware of the atrocities happening adjacent to the administration building where she worked.
She claims she wasn't, but there's a high likelihood she was:
She has claimed that despite working in the camp's command block, she knew nothing of its murderous regime.
But it has been revealed during her trial that her husband - who was a Nazi SS soldier during World War II - testified in 1954 that he was aware that people had been gassed at the concentration camp.
Seems like it would be kind of hard to miss that sort of thing.