It turns out you're NOT crazy if thought there were fewer chips in that last bag of chips you ate...
Global consumer price inflation rose 7 percent in May and is expected to keep rising through September, according to S&P Global.
Shrinking package sizes and quantities, which have been happening since (at least) last fall, tend to be less noticeable than price changes. Some "shrunken" products maintain the same price while others increase the price.
Here are some examples of "shrinkflation" around the world:
- Kleenex now has 60 tissues (previously 65)
- Chobani Flips yogurts are now 4.5 ounces (previously 5.3)
- Nestle Azera Americano coffee in the U.K. is now 90 grams (previously 100)
- Vim dish soap in India is now 135 grams (previously 155)
- Cottonelle Ultra Clean Care toilet paper is now 312 sheets per roll (previously 340)
- Folgers coffee is now 43.5 ounces (previously 51) - the package still says it will make up to 400 cups because, Folgers says, new technology allows them to produce lighter-weight beans.
- Fritos Scoops "Party Size" is now 15.5 ounces (previously 18 ounces) - apparently, there are still some grocery chains in Texas selling the bigger version, which is totally on-brand Texas behavior
- Earth's Best Organic Sunny Day Snack Bars are now seven bars per box (previously eight)
- Gatorade is now 28 ounces (previously 32 ounces) - but that's been the case even before Bidenflation and isn't related to the current economic situation, PepsiCo said
- Pantene Pro-V Curl Perfection conditioner is now 10.4 fluid ounces (previously 12 fluid ounces)
- Domino's Pizza now serves an eight-piece chicken wings package (previously 10 pieces)
As heartbroken as I am that the Scoops party size bag is 2.5 ounces smaller... What does any of this matter? Our world is going to end in 1028 days or something...
Let us eat our full Doritos bags as the world caves in.
P.S. Now check out our latest video: "Highlights from Biden's speech last night" 👇