In a rare five minutes of logic displayed in the halls of power, Sen. Rand Paul went to town on leftists for their impeachment of Trump when they don't hold their own members to the same standards:
After Sen. Paul pointed out that Trump – while certainly not the most responsible in his words by a long shot – called for protestors to "peacefully and patriotically" march to the Capitol on January 6, he brought up cases of prominent leftists straight-up calling for violence over the past few years:
- "No Democrat will honestly ask whether Bernie Sanders incited the shooter that nearly killed Steve Scalise and a volunteer coach. The shooter nearly pulled off a massacre."
- "No Democrat will ask whether Cory Booker incited violence when he called for his supporters to 'get up in their face' of congresspeople, a very visual and specific incitement."
- "No Democrat will ask whether Maxine Waters incited violence when she literally told her supporters and I quote, 'If you see a member of the Trump administration... any place, you create a crowd and you push back on them.' Is that not incitement?"
- "Kamala Harris famously offered to pay the bill for those who were arrested [in the BLM riots]. I wonder if she will be brought up on charges of inciting violence for that now that she's Vice President? Should Kamala Harris be impeached for offering to pay for violent people to get out of jail who've been burning our cities down?"
- "The mayor of Seattle, who incited and condoned violence by calling the armed takeover of part of her city 'a summer of love.'"
- "On June 8th, the New York Post, citing U.S. Department of Justice statistics, reported that more than 700 law enforcement officers were injured during the Antifa/Black Lives Matter riots. There were at least 19 murders, including 77-year-old retired police officer David Dorn."
Paul pointed out how he and his wife were threatened by a violent mob last summer. He also noted that GOP legislators have never called to impeach those who used heated political rhetoric or even promoted violence, despite these examples over the past few years.
"Shame on these angry, unhinged partisans putting forth this sham impeachment, deranged by their hatred of the former president."