The woke are now coming after Notre Dame's "Fighting Irish" nickname and their Leprechaun mascot and I can't believe this isn't The Babylon Bee
· · Aug 26, 2021 · NottheBee.com

So this should come as a surprise to absolutely no one who has been paying attention to the woke culture which is slowly taking over America and making us all embarrassed to live here:

Yuuuuuuup.

We are now offended by a leprechaun.

Let that sink in.

Now I'm Irish, and I'm slightly proud of that for some reason or another.

But I DO NOT CARE that the University of Notre Dame uses the nickname "The Fighting Irish." I also don't care that the mascot happens to be a leprechaun. I actually think these things are kind of cool.

Does that make me racist somehow?

I certainly hope not!

But here we have some random t-shirt and promotional products company out of Illinois called Quality Logo bringing a survey to the table saying that Notre Dame's mascot and nickname are offensive to, I don't know, somebody.

Absolutely dumb, right?

Look at some of the other mascots there, even.

Like....what???

But you betcha, the Indianapolis Star newspaper pounced on Notre Dame right away, because offending the Irish is super serious. They published this piece of absolute non-news in their paper, because apparently they think this is important:

This is so dumb.

I'm having a hard time keeping my keyboard from writing what it actually wants to write.

Like, this is actually a thing we're talking about…

I guess that's why Not the Bee exists though: to point out the absurdities of the clown world we inhabit.

Anyhow I'll quote that Indy Star article, not because I want to, but because I should or whatever:

When presented with the survey results by IndyStar, Notre Dame emailed a response that included a written statement defending the leprechaun and highlighting its history.

"It is worth noting ... that there is no comparison between Notre Dame's nickname and mascot and the Indian and warrior names (and) mascots used by other institutions such as the NFL team formerly known as the Redskins," the statement read. "None of these institutions were founded or named by Native Americans who sought to highlight their heritage by using names and symbols associated with their people."

So it's completely ridiculous that Notre Dame had to defend themselves here. But they did a wonderful job!

All this "I'm offended," "she's offended," "he's offended," "they's offended" stuff HAS GOT TO GO!!!

NOBODY IS OFFENDED BY THIS!!

It's a silly mascot, for goodness sake.

Get over it.

I remember writing a satire piece about three years ago where I wrote about Notre Dame's "offensive mascot," and here's a bit of it for you, free of charge:

Irish American immigrants showed up by the hundreds to voice their disappointment...We caught up with one fan over lunch.

"Not all Irish are the fighting kind! We don't all look like leprechauns either! Leprechauns aren't even Irish!"

In fact, not all Irish are the fighting kind. We gathered data from six separate websites and found only 87% of Irish males are the fighting kind. The other 13% were more of the loving type (in most situations).

So quite literally, this is a joke.

And it will remain a joke.

As will the woke.

*It should be noted that Vili the Warrior of the University of Hawaii no longer exists, so that puts Notre Dame's leprechaun at the number three spot for most offensive college mascots.

Dumb.


P.S. Now check out our viral video "How to speak Bidenese" 😂👇

Keep up with our latest videos — Subscribe to our YouTube channel!

Comments

There are 97 comments on this article.

Ready to join the conversation? Start your free trial today.

Access comments and our fully-featured social platform, completely free of charge.

Sign up Now
App screenshot

You must signup or login to view or post comments on this article.